DRESSING ON THE SIDE
Stepping Out for Fall
By Maureen Mancini Amaturo
How many pairs of shoes are too many? LOL, just kidding. No such thing as too many. A researcher surveyed 3,000 women about their shoe-buying habits. The results? A woman owns 19 pairs of shoes at any given moment. Really? Well, there’s at least three barefoot women out there because I have all their shoes in addition to my 19 pairs. Then, there are handbags. Another research statistic shows women buy about 145 handbags in their lifetime. Underestimated, definitely. As intoxicating as clothes are, when buying shoes and handbags, it’s like dopamine is a gift with purchase.
Aren’t we lucky to live where the seasons change, and we have to update our wardrobe at least four times a year?
Update alert: eight days to autumn. You need new shoes and handbags to go with your new fall wardrobe. Here are fall faves to add to your 19 pairs and whatever percent of 145 handbags you currently own.
There are comfy, fun choices among fall’s trendy footwear, including Converse high-tops, lower heels, combat boots, and sock booties. And, of course, boots. These are the of-the-moment styles to shop for:
• Cowboy Boots. In all colors, including white! Perfect with a midi dress, with denim, or a trendy shearling coat.
• Knee-High Boots. Lots to love. They’re long, so your leg looks longer and slimmer. They’re warmer than booties. Work with jeans, leggings, dress pants, and skirts. And such variety–from motorcycle (heavier with a thicker sole) to dressier with a heel (a key trend), in suede, or with embellishments.
• Animal Print. Bootie version is easiest to wear, but knee-high versions are making big statements. Leopard print booties look great with a burgundy sweater, leather jacket over a dress, a long, wool coat, black skinny pants, chunky cable-knit sweater. Trendiest touch: with a powder-blue trench coat or blazer. And of course, with a camel coat. Snakeskin and tortoiseshell are new obsessions.
• Victorian Lace-up. Velvet, textured, bold-colored (red), embroidered, versions are the hottest picks. Romantic look with dresses. Pair with leggings or knee socks for a casual vibe. You don’t want to look costume-y. These boots could be the statement piece in your outfit. Keep the drama on the feet, the outfit low-key.
• 80s Booties. Thin heel, stops at the ankle. For fall, best in black, cherry red, white, snakeskin, crocodile pattern. Pair with skinny jeans and a tee.
• White Booties. Yep, white for fall. Refreshing, no? In lace-up, combat, cowboy, and kitten-heel styles. The new silhouettes and heel shapes shift them from 1964 to 2018.
• High Shine. From liquid-silver to metallic color to patent leather. Totally kicks every look up a notch, especially jeans or overalls. Silver is a natural with sleek black pants. Sister to the high-shine outerwear trend.
• Printed Boots. Floral, plaid, brocade, snakeskin, embroidered, tapestry, printed velvet.
<<<Fall’s Grab Bags>>>
Handbags are more substantial than summer’s, but quirky, fun details and bold color are still key. Pick two (or a few) from this list, and you’ll be on trend.
• Draw-string/Pouch Bag. The #1 bag trend this season. In fabric, prints, embroidered, or leather. Every size, every material. Every color. Just get one.
• Croc-Embossed. Sophisticated, classic, and makes every outfit look expensive.
• Saddle Bag. Trendy then, now, forever.
• Box Bag. Square-shaped with a top handle. Modern, edgy, fresh look.
• Faux Fur. In line with fall’s texture trend. Freshest pick: pastel shades.
• Bucket Bag. A perennial that’s sleeker, more structured for fall.
• Logomania. Again, in line with a key trend. Any bag with a name or initials will carry you far.
• Chain strap. Chunky or delicate, short or shoulder chain. Reflects the ’80s trend.
Black satin sock bootie at Angela’s
Leopard bootie at Angela’s
Pouch bag with chain at Lola’s
Leopard slip-ons at Shoes ‘n More
Green faux fur bag with chain strap at Angela’s
Saddle bag at Lola’s
Blue suede sock bootie at Shoes ‘n More
Green croc clutch at Lola’s
Leopard slip-on with red patent kitten heel at Angela’s
Snake-embossed, chain-handled bags at Lola’s
Lace-up boot at Angela’s